Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Twenty Years Young

Twenty Years Young, 44x48", watercolor and mixed media
The orchestra that I perform with here in New Orleans, the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, recently celebrated its 20th anniversary and asked me to design artwork for the cover of the season program cover. It was impossible to feature just one instrument in my painting - after all, there are 70 musicians in the orchestra so someone was bound to feel left out! Instead, I decided to include all the instruments. That's a mirror-imaged string bass in front to ground the whole design, but otherwise all the others are rendered correctly. (My initials are on the flute.) The conductor of the orchestra is represented by the twelve batons that form a starburst effect around the piece. The music surrounding it is parts of the musical scores we played during our twentieth season: Beethoven, Mahler, Stravinsky, et al. It was a great project and a real honor for me to get to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment